Top 10 Places To Visit Near Pune
10 Best Places to Visit in Pune
1. Lohagad Fort, trekking place to visit near Pune:At a whopping height of 3400 feet, this historical fort is one of the finest places to visit near Pune. Other than being evidence of the significant rule of Peshwas in Pune, this fort also boasts of the natural scenic beauty of mighty mountains and brilliant architecture. Those looking for something fun and thrilling can also indulge in hiking and boating activities.
Distance from Pune: around 65 km away
Operational Hours: 9 AM to 6 PM
2. Mulshi Dam, a relaxing tourist place:Mulshi is a beautiful village located in the Pune district. If you are a nature lover or wish to spend some quality time in the lap of nature, then you must visit this village. Mulshi dam and the lake nearby are an overwhelming sight. The abundant charm of the natural beauty of the place will surely cast a spell on your heart. Truly one of the best tourist places to visit when in Pune.
Distance from Pune: around 47 km away
Operational Hours of Mulshi Dam: 9 AM to 6 PM
3. Imagicaa, amusement theme park like no other:
No matter whether you are traveling with friends, family, children, or with your special someone, this is the place to visit near Pune within 100 km. As an amusement park, Imagicaa takes care of all travelers and is ideal for all age groups. From indoor themed rides, beautiful landscaping, kid-special rides, resting space for seniors, and outdoor high – speed thrill rides, there is something for everyone here. Being surrounded by the mighty Sahyadri hills, the place is pretty scenic too. If you wish to escape from the mad rush of city life for a while, then a staycation here for a weekend is highly recommended.
Distance from Pune: around 92 km away
Operational Hours: 11 AM to 8 PM
4. Shinde Chhatri, a tourist place for history lovers:This old memorial built in the memory of the historic Maratha leader, Mahadji Shinde is one of the popular places to visit near Pune in Wanwadi. Established in the 18th century, the recently renovated Anglo – Rajasthani architectural style of this building, attracts the attention of many.
Distance from Pune: around8 km away
Operational Hours: 6 AM to 9 PM
5. Aga Khan Palace, historian recommended place to visit near Pune:If you are interested in knowing more about intriguing revelations about the great Indian history and its men, then this is the perfect place for you to visit. An ode to Mahatma Gandhi, the Father of the Nation, this museum has become one of the must-do places to visit around Pune.
Distance from Pune: around 9.5 km away
Operational Hours: 9 AM to 5.45 PM
6. Wai, offbeat tourist town:Also known by the name of Viraatnagari, the natives of the place believe that during their exile, Pandavas stayed with King Viraat of Wai. One can find ancient temples in every nook and corner of this historical place. It is one of the tourist places to visit where you can go on heritage walks and witness some marvelous structures on the way.
Distance from Pune: around 88 km away
Best time to visit: between January to February or from October to December
7. Parvati Hill, a must-visit for nature lovers:Located 2100 feet above the sea level, this is the best place to visit near Pune to witness panoramic views of Pune. The sunrise view here is magical. Visitors need to climb whooping 103 steps to reach the top of this magnificent hill where five temples built by Peshwas await you. It is ideal for both trekkers and devotees.
Distance from Pune: around 5 km away
Operational Hours: 5 AM to 8 PM
8. Karla Caves, must see architectural magnificence:This cave that's believed to have been built in the 2nd century attracts a bunch of travelers. Once home to a big Buddhist Monastery; only a small part of it remains. The caves that now stand still carry the essence and peace of the monastery which can be experienced. The campus also hosts a temple dedicated to the goddess Ekveera worshipped by the local community. Hence, this place to visit near Pune attracts people from all the religions and cave explorers.
Distance from Pune: around 58 km away
Operational Hours: 9 AM to 5 PM
9. Khadakwasla Dam, a picnic heaven:Offering scenic views, this picturesque location situated nearby Pune is the ideal place to go if you wish to spend some quality time amidst peaceful natural surroundings. Drive to this picnic spot near Pune is filled with scenic beauty! Built on Mutha river this dam has clear flowy water; ideal for a healthy swim! As it has multiple layered platforms you can easily avoid being crowded and enjoy yourself in a relaxed manner. The best time to visit it is during the monsoon.
Distance from Pune: around 15 km away
Operational Hours: open all the time.
10. Ajanta and Ellora Caves, mesmerising historical site:Though a bit far away from the city, but if you are interested in witnessing an architectural marvel, then you must not miss visiting these caves Ajanta and Ellora are at the distance from one another and both have so much to offer that a single visit won’t be enough. While visiting Ellora caves, a magnificent place to visit near Pune, do check out the Kailasha temple which is carved out of the largest single monolithic rock at Cave 16. Ajanta and Ellora caves are a rare combination where Buddhist, Jain, and Hindu cultures are depicted. The caves are a UNESCO world heritage site owing to its awe-inspired paintings, admirable structures, and sculptures of God and Goddesses
Distance from Pune: around 253 km away
Ajanta Caves - 9 AM to 5 PM on all days except Monday
Ellora Caves - 6 AM to 6 PM on all days except Tuesday
We hope this list of unique and top-ranking places makes your exploration experience around Pune more exciting and adventurous. Drop-in a comment below and let us know what you think. Or share your suggestion in case we have missed out on any key place of importance.
Frequently Asked Questions about Top Places to Visit Near Pune
What are the best places around Pune for a one day trip?Lavasa, Harihareshwar, Imagicaa, Malshej Ghat, and Panshet are some top options. These are ideal places to visit near Pune for a day trip.
What are the best places near Pune in monsoon?During monsoon, Lonavala, Kolad, Imagicaa, Panchgani, and Kamshet are some of the best places you can visit..
What are the best places near Pune in the winter / Christmas holiday?Imagicaa has jaw-dropping Christmas celebrations which shouldn’t be missed. Additionally, you can visit Mulshi, Imagicaa, Bhimashankar, Igatpuri, and Bhandardara.
What are the best places near Pune to celebrate New Year?Imagicaa, as it is the only park in India to host DJ parties with a late-night ride, gala dinner, and drinks. Tickets start @ Rs. 999.
What are the weekend gateways from Pune?Lonavala, Khandala, Novotel Imagicaa, Pawna, and Goa are some of the places to visit near Pune that are good for a weekend getaway.
What are the best places to visit near Pune with friends and family?Sinhagad, Lonavala, Mulshi, Imagicaa and Kune are some good options. Make sure you click a lot of pictures for your memories.